From a newbie to a pro – how to play roulette
Many people are interested in the question “What is roulette?”, but somehow don’t research it properly. They think that it’s too complicated to be enjoyable, so they brush it aside when choosing the game for the night and aim for poker sites instead.
If you want to know all about roulette game rules, types of roulette bets and how to win roulette, then definitely keep on reading!
What is roulette?
Roulette has been one of the most popular casino games in the world for years, starting its long history in the 17th century. The actual word “roulette” means “little wheel” in French, so it is quite literally describing the game. In simple words, players place their bets on certain sections and the winning number is determined by the spin of the wheel, when the ball falls on a particular number. You can choose to place your bet on either a single number, a group of numbers, odd or even and black or red numbers, or if the numbers are high or low (19-36 and 1-18 respectively). There are several types of bets in the roulette game, which we will talk about in detail later in this article.
Moreover, some roulette casinos offer different types of roulettes, which is definitely the factor you have to consider when betting. Here are the variations:
- European Roulette. This is the most common type of roulette and almost considered “the classic”. It has only one zero, which makes the House Edge much lower.
- American Roulette. It differs from the European only because it has a double zero, thus vastly raising the House Edge.
- French Roulette. Another version very similar to the European one, although it has additional terms “En prison” and ”La Partage”, which in simple wording means that your bets are put on hold – you lose less money.
- Mini Roulette. This kind of roulette game is very popular in online casinos and also amongst newcomers, because it has only 13 slots and therefore makes the process easier.
- Multi-Ball and Multi-Wheel Roulettes. It’s pretty obvious from the name – such roulettes have either several balls thrown into the wheel or just several wheels on the table. Definitely for those players who want to play roulette on “hard mode”
Some basic roulette game rules
If you are an experienced player, then you probably know how to play poker, baccarat, slots and also roulette, but refreshing the memory of some basic rules never hurts. If you are just a newcomer, then you should definitely read the rules attentively, because the first step to winning is having good theoretical knowledge.
The general roulette game rules are pretty simple, though there are a lot of things to take into consideration. At first it may look overwhelming, but with time you’ll get more used to it and learn how to play roulette game firsthand.
Look at the chips. Some casinos offer their customers to play roulette with the same chips they use in other games, but the majority has a separate type of roulette chips, so look at them closely.
Learn the appropriate time to bet. Usually there’s a small figure on the board indicating the last result. It is removed when the betting process begins, so be attentive.
Remember the bet types. This is one of the key roulette game rules, because you can’t really win without making a proper bet. You can learn all bet types a little further into this article.
Know the time to stop. The betting process can’t go on forever, so at some point it will be stopped. When the dealer says “No more bets” (doesn’t matter, if he or she already spun the wheel), you shouldn’t make any more bets, because they can be rightfully disqualified.
Behave appropriately when winning or losing. If your bet was lucky, then be patient and wait for the dealer. He or she will say the winning number or the color out loud, clean the board from losing bets and then pay you your win. However, if you lose, don’t be aggressive and blame the dealer – it is simply a case of luck.
Respect everyone around the table. This should be one of the most obvious roulette game rules. The whole process should be pleasant for anyone involved – both the dealer and players – so be calm, don’t knock other bets over (or even players!) and celebrate your triumph or loss without any damage to the property or people.
Yes, there are a lot of things to pay attention to, but all those roulette rules will settle down in your head eventually and after some practicing you will know how to play roulette automatically.
How to play roulette step-by-step
Still feeling anxious to play? If you’re not sure that you know all roulette rules, you can follow our step-by-step guide to gain some confidence and train your skills.
- Place your bet. This step is crucial to the game, because it will directly influence your victory. Select the wanted chip size and put it on a certain place on the roulette board. Learn the bet types beforehand, so you won’t have any problems during the game.
- Watch the wheel. After all bets are made, the dealer (or the game, if you are playing online) spins the wheel in one direction and the ball in the opposite. If you are playing roulette casino face-to-face and not on your computer, please be polite and don’t interrupt the game.
- Analyze the results. Eventually the wheel will stop spinning and the ball will land somewhere. If your bet was true (for example, you placed it on black and the ball landed on black too), then you won in this round! Congratulations!
- Collect your winnings. If your bet was lucky, your dealer will issue your money. It really depends on the type of your bet, its color, number and the chip size, so it shouldn’t be a surprise when it doesn’t play out the same.
- Try again. If you feel the pleasant rush in your heart, try betting again. That way you will accumulate more experience and know how to play roulette for sure.
Tips and tricks on how to play roulette game
When you are playing in any casino in general, you shouldn’t rely solely on tips and tricks. However, they may help you a lot if used correctly.
Bet the lowest House-Edge. It’s pretty simple – you won’t lose as much by betting the lowest amount. If the casino lets you reduce House-Edge in half (with En Prison), why not take this opportunity?
Pay attention to your dealer. Some dealers have a certain habit when releasing the ball (they either do it in a particular manner or at particular time), so it can help you somewhat predict the outcome. Obviously it’s not 100% effective, but yet it’s something.
Search for bonuses. On some websites they offer a generous welcome bonus or a no deposit bonus, which isn’t just free money. Some bonuses include free spins on roulette, so you can save your money and spend those bonuses.
The crucial thing – bet types
Playing chips will practically become your best friends in the game of roulette, because you will make bets with them. The main variation of bets is that there are inside bets and outside bets. Outside bets often have smaller payouts, but better odds at winning.
Let’s talk about them in detail, so that you can be an expert when it comes to bet types.
Some players recommend to start betting with inside bets to understand how to play roulette better.
- Straight or Single. This type of bet is the most basic – you place your bet on a single number and place your chip just on one square with that number.
- Split. In this case you bet on two vertically or horizontally neighbouring numbers and place your chip on the shared edge.
- Street. You bet on three consecutive numbers which are in a horizontal line and place your chip on either end of the line on the outer corner of the number.
- Corner. This bet is when you bet on four numbers meeting at one corner at once. Thereafter you place the chip on said corner.
- Six Line or Double Street. In this case you bet on six consecutive numbers which form a horizontal line by placing your chip on the outer corner shared by two leftmost or rightmost numbers.
- Trio. You can get from the name that this bet has three numbers. However, one of them has to be a zero or a double-zero. You place your chip on the shared corner.
- First Four. This bet is pretty simple – 0-1-2-3, but it is for single-zero layout only. Your chip should be on the shared outer corner of 0-1 or 0-3.
- Basket. It’s the same as the previous one, but it’s for double-zero layout only.
Outside bets are easier to remember than inside bets.
- 1 to 18 or Low. In this case, you are choosing a number, which will be in the chosen range.
- 19 to 36 or High. The same as the previous one, just with a different range.
- Red or black. Self-explanatory; you think that the ball will land either on black or on red.
- Even or odd. Also self-explanatory; you think that the ball will land on an odd or an even number.
- Dozen bet. This bet means that you think the ball will land on a particular dozen : 1-12 or P12, 13-24 or M12, and 25-36 or D12.
- Column. The bet which indicates that the number will be in a particular column, which consists of 12 numbers. In this case, the chip should be placed below the final number.
- Snake. This bet covers the numbers 1, 5, 9, 12, 14, 16, 19, 23, 27, 30, 32, 34. Beware, that it is unavailable in many casinos, but if it is, then the chip should be placed on the lower corner of the 34 square.
If you still have any questions left, then check out the Frequently Asked Questions below!
What is the difference between European and American roulette?
The main difference lies in zero. European roulette has a single-zero layout and American roulette has a double-zero layout.
What is the House Edge?
To put it simply, it is the advantage in number that the casino has over the player.
What happens, when En Prison is allowed?
The House Edge is reduced in half, so En Prison is beneficial for players.
Why is the fifth number nicknamed “the Beast” on American roulette?
This number has the highest House Edge – 7.89%, so be very careful with it!
So is roulette worth it?
Playing roulette is a bit more complicated than just searching for the best slots online. It takes time and consideration to practice your skills to the max and it can be very pleasing when you reach that maximum.
If you asked yourself “What is roulette?” at least once and found this article, then we hope that you have all the answers you searched for!